Monday, March 5, 2012

PROJECT GREEN SMOOTHIE FOR OESTARA

  Oestara is approaching! Almost exactly two weeks from now we will enjoy equal amount of light and dark in a day, and from then on light dominates!
  Usually I start preparing for the upcoming sabbat about two weeks ahead. Depending on the weather and how the nature looks outside. I want to be in tune with my environment, not too much ahead.

  To keep up with the increasing energy levels this growing amount of light gives me, I decided to dedicate this Oestara to green smoothies. I have grown a liking to them already, but my goal now is to make it a part of my daily routine. Just as I did during Imbolc with fresh juices (I´m still continuing having them each day, along with the green salad).

  Conveniently I just received a book I ordered weeks ago, The Green Smoothie Bible, so I´m all set for my Oestara´s green smoothie-quest!
  I took a head start to Oestara this morning by making my first green smoothie for breakfast:

I prefer my smoothies thick like puddings. A suitable portion for me is about 4-5dl/nearly two cups. I need to feel full before I´m done eating!


Frozen blueberry leaves from last spring are the greens I used in this recipe.


The recipe:

Orange Poppyseed Cake (from The Green Smoothie Bible by Kristine Miles):
1 orange, peeled, segmented, and frozen
zest and flesh of 1 orange, peeled
2 tablespoons agave or honey
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1/2 avocado
1 1/2 cups almond milk
pale, mild greens

+ Blend all ingredients except the poppy seeds. Add the seeds and stir through on low speed, or stir in manually. Serve garnished with poppy seeds and grated orange zest.
  (I didn´t have poppy seeds, so I just left them out of the recipe. I used whole almonds instead of almond milk, and didn´t add any water to reach a thicker consistency. I prefer mine more like a pudding, which I enjoy with a large mug of green tea. To garnish, I used cacao nibs instead of the poppy seeds I lacked.)
  This recipe is from the "dessert" section, and is heavenly! Unbelievable that it can still be healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment