Friday, May 10, 2013

STAY SLIM- WEEKEND GETAWAY LUNCH

  We are starting our summer cabin season this weekend! That means minimal cooking for two days, yipee. =)

  It is tempting to buy unhealthy takeaway lunches and dinners on the go, but I whipped up this easy and cheap main course in advance:

Whole grain jasim rice with a sauce made of whatever veggies I happened to have in the fridge.

This not only will keep me away from the nutrient-low takeaway foods in stores, but also keep me satisfied, and prevent weight gain. Me like!

  If there´s one thing I´ve learned from having a diabetic kid in the house is, that carbohydrates are the main source of energy for our bodies. They are used up first, and only then come protein and fat.
  I´ve never been a fan of extra protein, so I´m more than happy to shove complex carbs and veggies in me when hungry! This lunch does the trick for me.

  The recipe for the sauce:

veggies, any kind you have in handy, and in any combo you like (this time I used four tomatoes, a green onion with the white parts too, and a big bunch of dandelion leaves)
vegetable broth
soymilk
corn starch mixed with little water

+ Chop the veggies roughly, put in a kettle with the broth and simmer until soft(ish). Puré in a food processor, adding some milk. Place back in the kettle, and thicken with the starch. If too thick, add more milk.
  Enjoy!

  This is a lovely recipe because you can really use any veggies you like. Last time I made this with summer squash, green onion, and goatweed. Delicious that way too.


No comments:

Post a Comment