Thursday, August 14, 2014

SUPER HEALTHY VIKING PORRIDGE

  Vikings were fierce and strong folk, who even sailed to America way before Columbus. One of their power meals was "the Viking porridge". A porridge made of grains and seeds.

  Here´s my version of their superfood, including no dried modern ingredients we know as "superfoods".  (I´m not a fan of such long shelf life products that we were perfectly happy without before, and which have not made the masses any slimmer and thus happier so far. Call me a sceptic in this matter if you will.  =)

Oatmeal with local berries and pumpkin seeds.

Gooseberries fresh from the garden, and rolled oats fresh from the local farmer. No sugar or salt.
 The recipe (for one):

1/2 cup (generous 1 dl) rolled oats
1 cup (2,5 dl) water
a splash of soymilk
1/2-1 cup (1-2 dl) seasonal berries
0.7 oz (20 grams) seeds/nuts

+ (I´m lazy and make mine in the microwave oven.) Mix the oats and water in a deep plate and pop it in the micro oven, full heat, for 3 min. Stir and let rest for some minutes. Stir again and add as much milk as you like (I like mine rather runny). Top with berries and seeds.
 The berries taste surprisingly sweet when there are no other strong flavors disturbing the taste buds.

  Without the seeds there are less calories, but also the lot will not keep you satisfied as long. This meal, a viking porridge, keeps me feeling calm but energetic and gets me going until the next meal easily.
  The calorie content is approx. 300. I don´t usually care about calories, but now I have a small project to get ready for. I do occasional modeling, and today my agency informed me that I was chosen to do a lingerie shoot next week. I have never done lingerie before, and that´s wrecking my nerves! So I want to look my best, or should I say do what I can during these few days before the shoot. This porridge is my staple breakfast now (I moved the original omelette for a lunch option).

No comments:

Post a Comment