Monday, May 26, 2014

OLD-FASHIONED BABY BLUE DRESS FOR A LITTLE GIRL

  When I design styles for outfits, I don´t need to look through inspirational magazines, movies, or surf the net. The visions rise up straight from my mind. I guess they are combinations of all the images I´ve ever seen and have been registered in my subconscious. This dress is a good example:

A combination of old-fashioned nautical style and -beachwear, made more simple and modern. But in more light and delicate colors, which suit my daughter the best. I love the fact that the dress has little sleeves to protect the shoulders from the burning sun. I prefer using clothes instead of lotions as sunblock.

Two rows of decorative buttons give the garment it´s nautical flavour.

The fabric is pure cotton. I added a slip of contrast color to the hem to give it some detail and depth. But nothing too bright or strong.

The dress closes with a zipper, which is not old-fashioned at all, but is much easier to use than buttons. After all, this dress is for real-world use, not just a decoration.

She loves her new summer dress! And I love her happy little face!
  My daughter wore this dress today at our summer cabin, when we had her godparents and great-aunt come for a visit. The second "occasion" will be the coming weekend, when the schools end. After that party the dress will become a staple play wear, especially when vacationing at our summer cabin. It suits the sea landscape so well!

P.S. The sewing pattern for the dress is from Ottobre Design Magazine 3/2011.  A similar pattern can be found here.

1 comment:

  1. The experience was awesome. My cousin picked this dress for her bridesmaids and I love it. It's a snug fit but it doesn't make me feel squeezed or anything like that.

    ReplyDelete