Sunday, May 18, 2014

LO-CARB & LO-CAL KISSEL SNACK/DESSERT

  Rhubarb season has started in our garden. Today I pulled up the very first stems and made kissel of them. Kissel is pretty much the only thing I ever make of rhubarb. Yum!

This was my supper today. I was not exactly hungry but wanted something sweet.

Because we have diabetes in the house, I made this low in carbohydrates using artificially sweetened juice as the base. Handy for me too, since it is automatically low in calories also!

The recipe:

1-2 cups (3-5dl) of chopped rhubarb
4 cups (1 liter) artificially sweetened juice (I used raspberry flavored)
4 Tbsp potato starch

+ Mix the potato starch with one cup of juice. Place all ingredients in a kettle, and turn the heat on in the stove. Stir constantly and bring the kissel to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for a few minutes, stirring still, until the rhubarb pieces soften. Remove from heat and eat either warm or cold.

Tip: add vanilla custard or whipped cream to make it a festive dessert (in which case screw the healthiness!).

Kissel can be made of  almost anything, but I think berries are the best choice. Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and lingonberries all make a superb kissel. But also apples, peaches, and pineapple go well too. For the best result use ingredients that are in season. 

Kissel is a good and slimming dessert/snack year round!


No comments:

Post a Comment