Tuesday, June 17, 2014

DELIGHTFUL LUNCH: RICE WITH COCONUT AND PEAS

  Here´s a great, healthy, and energizing lunch my daughter and I had today:

A lovely mixture of whole grain jasmin- and brown rice and a big glass of carrot juice.

This generous cup (3 dl) went for my two-year-old. She´s a health food freak by nature, and loves especially everything raw (a complete opposite to my son, who won´t eat anything veggie, except a piece of cucumber!).
This pile is packed with flavor from the jasmine rice, lemon zest, coconut, chives, and herbs. I ate three bowlfuls... =)
 The recipe (for four):

1/3 cup whole grain jasmine rice
2/3 cup brown rice
1 3/4 cups water
generous pinch of salt
1/2 cup frozen peas
3 Tbsp dried shredded coconut 
1 tsp roughly chopped fresh basil
1 tsp fresh thyme
2 Tbsp roughly chopped fresh chives
zest of one lemon

+ Rinse the rice and place in a pot with the water and salt. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 45min. Remove from heat and place a clean kitchen towel between the lid and the pot and let sit for 15min before fluffing with a fork.
  Meanwhile combine the rest of the ingredients in a big bowl, and let wait until the rice is done (we went outside to play at this point).
  Combine the rice and the pea-coconut mixture, check for salt and serve. Beautiful.

  When Gwyneth Paltrow and Julia Turshen released their cookbook "It´s All Good" I decided  not to get it. I was sure the book would be full of complicated cooking techniques, and the recipes for cold-hearted carnivores.
  Time went on, and frequently I stumpled on people praising the book, and worshipping Ms.Paltrow´s cooking abilities. The book haunted me.
  A couple of months ago I ran into an article saying there are tons of vegan recipes and even a vegan eating plan in the book. Hmm.... Maybe I should get it just to check it out.
  And I did.
  "It´s All Good" has sat on my kitchen table for about three weeks now, in almost daily use, and I have tried out several vegan recipes from it. I have customized them to my liking, which means eating the grains cooked and veggies all raw. Impressive culinary experiences! So fresh, delightful, and flavorful. I must say I was so wrong thinking cooking by the book would be too much work for a lazy butt like me. The recipes really are simple to make, and most very filling (not only green leaves with a squirt of lemon juice to stay as thin as possible).

  My recipe on this post is originally the "Black Rice With Fresh Coconut" from "It´s All Good". But when I dag into my cupboards to make it, I could not find the exact (or not even very close =) ingredients for the recipe. None the less, the result was mouth watering, and definitely something I would not have come up with myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment